Re: segmentation fault when cassert enabled

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: segmentation fault when cassert enabled
Date: 2019-11-25 14:55:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 14:34:38 +0100
Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2019-11-05 17:29, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> > My best bet so far is that logicalrep_relmap_invalidate_cb is not called
> > after the DDL on the subscriber so the relmap cache is not invalidated. So
> > we end up with slot->tts_tupleDescriptor->natts superior than
> > rel->remoterel->natts in slot_store_cstrings, leading to the overflow on
> > attrmap and the sigsev.
>
> It looks like something like that is happening. But it shouldn't.
> Different table schemas on publisher and subscriber are well supported,
> so this must be an edge case of some kind. Please continue investigating.

I've been able to find the origin of the crash, but it was a long journey.

<debugger hard life>

I was unable to debug using gdb record because of this famous error:

Process record does not support instruction 0xc5 at address 0x1482758a4b30.

Program stopped.
__memset_avx2_unaligned_erms ()
at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-vec-unaligned-erms.S:168
168 ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-vec-unaligned-erms.S: No such
file or directory.

Trying with rr, I had constant "stack depth limit exceeded", even with
unlimited one. Does it worth opening a discussion or a wiki page about these
tools? Peter, it looks like you have some experience with rr, any feedback?

Finally, Julien Rouhaud spend some time with me after work hours, a,swering
my questions about some parts of the code and pointed me to the excellent
backtrace_functions GUC addition few days ago. This finally did the trick to
find out what was happening. Many thanks Julien!

</debugger hard life>

Back to the bug itself. Consider a working logical replication with constant
update/insert activity, eg. pgbench running against provider.

Now, on the subscriber side, a session issue an "ALTER TABLE ADD
COLUMN" on a subscribed table, eg. pgbench_branches. A cache invalidation
message is then pending for this table.

In the meantime, the logical replication worker receive an UPDATE to apply. It
opens the local relation using "logicalrep_rel_open". It finds the related
entry in LogicalRepRelMap is valid, so it does not update its attrmap
and directly opens and locks the local relation:

/* Need to update the local cache? */
if (!OidIsValid(entry->localreloid))
{
[...updates attrmap here...]
}
else
entry->localrel = table_open(entry->localreloid, lockmode);

However, when locking the table, the code in LockRelationOid() actually process
any pending invalidation messages:

LockRelationOid(Oid relid, LOCKMODE lockmode)
{
[...]
/*
* Now that we have the lock, check for invalidation messages, so that we
* will update or flush any stale relcache entry before we try to use it.
* RangeVarGetRelid() specifically relies on us for this. We can skip
* this in the not-uncommon case that we already had the same type of lock
* being requested, since then no one else could have modified the
* relcache entry in an undesirable way. (In the case where our own xact
* modifies the rel, the relcache update happens via
* CommandCounterIncrement, not here.)
*
* However, in corner cases where code acts on tables (usually catalogs)
* recursively, we might get here while still processing invalidation
* messages in some outer execution of this function or a sibling. The
* "cleared" status of the lock tells us whether we really are done
* absorbing relevant inval messages.
*/
if (res != LOCKACQUIRE_ALREADY_CLEAR)
{
AcceptInvalidationMessages();
MarkLockClear(locallock);
}
}

We end up with attrmap referencing N columns and the relcache referencing N+1
columns. Later, in apply_handle_update(), we build a TupleTableSlot based on
the relcache representation and we crash by overflowing attrmap while trying to
feed this larger slot in slot_store_cstrings().

Please find in attachment a bugfix proposal. It just moves the attrmap update
after the table_open() call.

Last, I was wondering if entry->attrmap should be pfree'd before palloc'ing it
again during its rebuild to avoid some memory leak?

Regards,

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-subscriber-invalid-memory-access-on-DDL.patch text/x-patch 3.7 KB