Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: noah(at)leadboat(dot)com
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, 9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com, andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Date: 2019-11-21 10:48:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:01:07 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> > For deleting relfilenodes, smgrDoPendingDeletes() collects a list for
> > smgrdounlinkall() to pass to DropRelFileNodesAllBuffers(), which is
> > sophisticated about optimizing the shared buffers scan. Commit 279628a
> > introduced that, in 2013. I think smgrDoPendingSyncs() should do likewise, to
> Seems reasonable. Please wait a minite.

This is the first cut of that. This makes the function FlushRelationBuffersWithoutRelcache useless, which was introduced in this work. The first patch reverts it, then the second patch adds the bulk sync feature.

The new function FlushRelFileNodesAllBuffers, differently from
DropRelFileNodesAllBuffers, takes SMgrRelation which is required by
FlushBuffer(). So it takes somewhat tricky way, where type
SMgrSortArray pointer to which is compatible with RelFileNode is used.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Revert-FlushRelationBuffersWithoutRelcache.patch text/x-patch 3.3 KB
0002-Improve-the-performance-of-relation-syncs.patch text/x-patch 8.6 KB