Re: 11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 11 -> 12 upgrade on Debian Ubuntu
Date: 2019-11-07 16:14:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2019-11-07 10:59:37 -0500, stan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 07:52:14AM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > On 11/7/19 7:45 AM, stan wrote:
> > > I am in the middle of a project, and it looks like version 12 is now what
> > > the Debian/Ubuntu package managers want to update to.
> >
> > This should be a dist-upgrade correct?
>
> Correct.
>
> > On a my Ubuntu instance that just installed the Postgres 12 version and
> > started it(also auto start in start.conf). This was just the template
> > databases and postgres db. No data was moved over from the 11 instance that
> > is running.
> >
> Thanks, that is helpful to know.

To migrate the data to the new database, run pg_upgradecluster. This is
a wrapper around pg_upgrade which knows about details of a standard
Debian/Ubuntu PostgreSQL installation (like directory layout, etc.), so
it should be simpler and safer than invoking pg_upgrade yourself (and
pg_upgrade is hidden in /usr/lib/postgresql/*/bin to prevent you from
invoking it accidentally).

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"