Re: tableam vs. TOAST

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Prabhat Sahu <prabhat(dot)sahu(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tableam vs. TOAST
Date: 2019-09-05 14:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Aug-05, Robert Haas wrote:

> > Shouldn't this condition be the other way round?
>
> I had to fight pretty hard to stop myself from tinkering with the
> algorithm -- this can clearly be done better, but I wanted to make it
> match the existing structure as far as possible. It also only needs to
> be tested once, not on every loop iteration, so if we're going to
> start changing things, we should go further than just swapping the
> order of the tests. For now I prefer to draw a line in the sand and
> change nothing.

I agree, and can we move forward with this 0001? The idea here is to
change no code (as also suggested by Tom elsewhere), and it's the
largest patch in this series by a mile. I checked --color-moved=zebra
and I think the patch looks fine, and also it compiles fine. I ran
src/tools/pginclude/headerscheck on it and found no complaints.

So here's a rebased version, where the DETOAST_H whitespace has been
removed. No other changes from your original. Will you please push
soon?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Split-tuptoaster.c-into-three-separate-files.patch text/x-diff 164.2 KB