Re: Cleanup isolation specs from unused steps

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Asim R P <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cleanup isolation specs from unused steps
Date: 2019-08-23 15:38:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Aug-23, Asim R P wrote:

> As part of the fault injector patch set [1], I added a new "blocking"
> keyword to isolation grammar so that a step can be declared as blocking.
> See patch 0002-Add-syntax-to-declare-a-step-that-is-expected-to-block.

One point to that implementation is that in that design a step is
globally declared to be blocking, but in reality that's the wrong way to
see things: a step might block in some permutations and not others. So
I think we should do as Michael suggested: it's the permutation that has
to have a way to mark a given step as blocking, not the step itself.