Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Moon, Insung" <Moon_Insung_i3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)
Date: 2019-07-30 00:35:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 10:33:03PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am thinking of writing some Assert() code that checks that all buffers
> using a single LSN are from the same relation (and therefore different
> page numbers). I would do it by creating a static array, clearing it on
> XLogBeginInsert(), adding to it for each XLogInsert(), then checking on
> PageSetLSN() that everything in the array is from the same file. Does
> that make sense?

So, I started looking at how to implement the Assert checks and found
that Heikki has already added (in commit 2c03216d83) Assert checks to
avoid duplicate block numbers in WAL. I just added the attached patch
to check that all RelFileNodes are the same.

I ran the regression tests with asserts on and got no failures, so I
think we are good.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Attachment Content-Type Size