Re: pg12 release notes

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg12 release notes
Date: 2019-05-10 04:57:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 12:45:54PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:

> >> I need help with this one. I know the system column existed in previous
> >> releases, so how is it different now? Do we document system table
> >> changes that are implementation-behavior in the release notes? Usually
> >> we don't.
> >
> > This appears to be fixing something that likely should have been done
> > in PG11, where partitioned indexes were added.

> > Originally the column
> > was for inheritance parent tables, then later used for partitioned
> > tables. It seems partitioned indexes just overlooked setting it to
> > true in PG11 and this commit fixed that. Of course, backpacking that
> > fix wouldn't be very useful for partitioned indexes that were already
> > created, so it was a master only change.

> Regarding whether or not this commit needs a release note mention, I'm not
> that sure but maybe we should if Justin thinks it's useful information.

I don't know for sure and I don't feel strongly either way.

Last month, I looked through the list of commits to master ([0] rather than
using pgsql/src/tools/git_changelog), and made a list of commits I thought
should probably be mentioned. I sent to Bruce, in case he could make use of
it, and just now triple checked that he'd included all the stuff I could see
was important. Added/changed/removed interfaces (programs, libraries, etc),
GUCs, catalogs were all on my list (which is what caused me to include
index_get_partition, which I agree shouldn't actually be in the relnotes).

Behavior changes should sometimes to be there too, but there's
internal/implementation changes which shouldn't.

Justin

[0] git log --oneline --cherry-pick origin/REL_11_STABLE...origin/master