Re: Reaping Temp tables to avoid XID wraparound

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reaping Temp tables to avoid XID wraparound
Date: 2019-03-09 01:28:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 11:14:46AM -0800, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:45 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
> wrote:
>> One problem that I can see with your patch is that you would set the
>> XID once any temporary object created, including when objects other
>> than tables are created in pg_temp, including functions, etc. And it
>> does not really matter for wraparound monitoring. Still, the patch is
>> simple..
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Sure, it will log it even when a
> temp function is created, but the namespace is still created then is it
> not?

What I mean here is: imagine the case of a session which creates a
temporary function, creating as well the temporary schema, but creates
no other temporary objects. In this case we don't really care about
the wraparound issue because, even if we have a temporary schema, we
do not have temporary relations. And this could confuse the user?
Perhaps that's not worth bothering, still not all temporary objects
are tables.
--
Michael