Tighten error control for OpenTransientFile/CloseTransientFile

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Tighten error control for OpenTransientFile/CloseTransientFile
Date: 2019-03-01 02:33:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Joe's message here has reminded me that we have lacked a lot of error
handling around CloseTransientFile():
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/c49b69ec-e2f7-ff33-4f17-0eaa4f2cef27@joeconway.com

This has been mentioned by Alvaro a couple of months ago (cannot find
the thread about that at quick glance), and I just forgot about it at
that time. Anyway, attached is a patch to do some cleanup for all
that:
- Switch OpenTransientFile to read-only where sufficient.
- Add more error handling for CloseTransientFile
A major take of this patch is to make sure that the new error messages
generated have an elevel consistent with their neighbors.

Just on time for this last CF. Thoughts?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
transient-fd-error-v1.patch text/x-diff 12.5 KB