Re: could recovery_target_timeline=latest be the default in standby mode?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: could recovery_target_timeline=latest be the default in standby mode?
Date: 2019-01-15 03:42:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 10:17:32AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm not sure what the coverage is in detail in this area. It seems we
> already have tests for not-specific-recovery-target, maybe not in this
> file, but most of the other tests rely on that, no?

[... Checking ...]
There are no tests on HEAD using directly recovery_target_timeline in
any .pl or .pm file, which is definitely not a good idea.
004_timeline_switch.pl is actually designed for checking the latest
timeline, which is fine. 002_archiving.pl somewhat tests for the
current timeline, still it is not really designed for this purpose.
--
Michael