Re: ALTER INDEX ... ALTER COLUMN not present in dump

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Subject: Re: ALTER INDEX ... ALTER COLUMN not present in dump
Date: 2018-12-17 06:24:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 12:24:15AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> If we were to rename the "foo.expr" column at this point,
> and then dump and reload, the expression column in the
> second index would presumably acquire the name "expr"
> not "expr1", because "expr" would no longer be taken.
> So if pg_dump were to try to use that index column name
> in ALTER ... SET STATISTICS, it'd fail.

Good point, thanks! I did not think about the case where a table uses
an attribute name matching what would be generated for indexes.

So this settles the argument that we had better not do anything before
v11. Switching the dump code to use column numbers has not proved to be
complicated as only the query and some comments had to be tweaked.
Attached is an updated patch, and I am switching back the patch to
"Needs review" to have an extra pair of eyes look at that in case I
missed something.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
dump-alter-index-stats-v4.patch text/x-diff 7.9 KB