Re: tab-completion debug print

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: david(at)fetter(dot)org
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tab-completion debug print
Date: 2018-11-27 09:06:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

At Mon, 26 Nov 2018 07:08:53 +0100, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote in <20181126060853(dot)GP958(at)fetter(dot)org>

> > > The reason for the minimal output was it won't disturb console so
> > > much when stderr is not redirected. It could be richer if we
> > > premise redirection.
> >
> > It seems to me this behavior would be completely unusable if it's not
> > redirected; I don't understand why you're even considering that as an
> > interesting option. libreadline is necessarily active when we're doing
> > this, and it will get very confused (or at least produce a very confused
> > display) if anything else is emitting text onto the active console line.

The mess here started because I forgot about -L option of psql. I
wouldn't do that if I knew of it.

> Integrating with libreadline would be a *much* bigger project for
> reasons starting with the ones you state.
>
> > Maybe somebody who never makes any typing errors at all and doesn't
> > really need to see what they typed could use it like that, but I for
> > one would find it quite useless.
> > In fact, I was thinking of proposing that the output shouldn't go to
> > stderr in the first place. If you do it like that, then you're also
> > confusing this info with query error output, which does little for
> > usability either.

So, we can use the exiting log file feature of psql.

> > Speaking of query error output, it wouldn't be a bad thing if this
> > mode could show any errors from the tab-completion queries. I
> > suppose people look into the postmaster log for that right now; but
> > if this were all going to some separate log file, I'd vote for
> > showing the constructed queries and their results or errors.
>
> I briefly thought about logging this to the postmaster log, but psql
> is not the server, and doesn't, as a rule, have access to the same
> kinds of things the server does, so it's not really the right thing.
> On a busy server, because we don't yet have ways to carve off streams
> of logs, these ones could get lost in the noise.

Agreed.

> This brings up an interesting idea, though. It seems like we're
> backing into a logging facility for psql with this feature. How about
> just sending stderr to some file(s) in /var/log/psql/ , or if we're
> getting super fancy, to the syslog family?

syslog seems to be a kind of overdone for psql.. As mentioned
above, this version emits logs into the file specifed by -L
option. Some other information is also emitted into the file but
it doesn't seem to be a problem.

psql -L ~/psqldebug.log postgres

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Tab-copletion-debug-log.patch text/x-patch 2.0 KB