Re: Add extension options to control TAP and isolation tests

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Add extension options to control TAP and isolation tests
Date: 2018-09-10 06:22:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 06:48:49PM -0700, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On a recent thread of pgsql-committers has been discussed the fact that
> we lacked a bit of infrastructure to allow extensions to control
> isolation and TAP tests:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180905174527.GA2726@paquier.xyz
>
> Attached is a patch which is the result of the previous thread, where a
> couple of variables are added for extension authors:
> - ISOLATION, similar to REGRESS for pg_regress, which lists isolation
> tests.
> - ISOLATION_OPTS, which can be used to pass an option set to
> pg_isolation_regress.
> - TAP_TESTS, a switch to enable running TAP tests.

Tom, Alvaro, any thoughts on the proposed patch? Please note that one
thing which is missing, and that I left on purpose so as the buildfarm
client does not need any extra tweaks, is support for those options in
src/tools/msvc. It is already possible to run easily any TAP test suite
using vcregress taptest $dir, and test_decoding has some special
handling in the buildfarm code to run isolation tests. It seems to me
that the amount of cleanup done by the initial patch in all the
Makefiles justifies its existence, and I could always follow-up with a
second patch for MSVC if needed.
--
Michael