Re: [bug fix] Cascaded standby cannot start after a clean shutdown

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] Cascaded standby cannot start after a clean shutdown
Date: 2018-06-18 04:29:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 07:33:01PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-06-17 22:31:02 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, for me parallelized check-world only works in >= 9.6. My (vague)
>> recollection is that multiple fixes were needed to get to that point,
>> so I doubt it's worth trying to fix in older branches.
>
> There were multiple fixes, that's right - I'd personally however still
> be in favor of trying to backpatch those.

It took me some time, but I have been able to find the thread which
discusses all the fixes needed to get parallel builds to work on older
branches without having to port PostgresNode.pm, which is a way higher
level of efforts:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqQTGveO3_zvnXQAs32cMosX8c76_ewe4L1cNL=1xZmt+g@mail.gmail.com
Could that be considered?

> Running a check world serially for the backbranches seriously slows
> down things for me.

Me too. That was already frustrating one year ago, and it still is.
--
Michael