Moving libpg{common,port,feutils}.a to pkglibdir?

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL in Debian <pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Moving libpg{common,port,feutils}.a to pkglibdir?
Date: 2018-05-03 18:40:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-pkg-debian

Debian's PostgreSQL packages allow installation of several server
versions in parallel, but only one libpq and libpq-dev package is
provided, i.e. libpq is always from the latest stable branch. There
are separate postgresql-server-dev-NN packages for the
version-specific header files. So far, postgresql-server-dev-NN does
not contain any libraries.

In the context of Michael Banck's pg_checksums program [*], we ran
into the problem that libpqport.a is not compatible across server
versions. Currently it is installed into LIBDIR (=
/usr/lib/<arch-triplet>). It would need to be in PKGLIBDIR (=
/usr/lib/postgresql/NN/lib) to allow co-installation of several
versions. (This is actually the first time we try to package client
programs that are server-version-dependant; pg-filedump works on all
server versions no matter what version it is linked against.)

I'm contemplating moving these static libs to PKGLIBDIR. Or should
libfeutils.a better stay in LIBDIR, with only one version?

Maybe they should be moved in "stock" PostgreSQL as well?

Christoph

[*] I haven't checked, but this likely applies to Michael Paquier's
version of it as well