Re: pg_get_functiondef forgets about most GUC_LIST_INPUT GUCs

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_get_functiondef forgets about most GUC_LIST_INPUT GUCs
Date: 2018-03-16 08:34:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:16:54 +0100, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CAFj8pRC6+_8c6PLHbDzCSKEDpkEhcVqyFmJn9_zYUjAwdnUboQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>

> > > That's of course not backpatchable.

I meant that it is just too big for the objective regardless of
back-patching:p

So, automatic generation is not acceptable, dynamic checking
(including that at the function creation) would be
unacceptable. So I agree that what we can do now is just maintian
the list of pg_strcasecmp.

> > So in this jungle attached is my counter-proposal. As the same code
> > pattern is repeated in three places, we could as well refactor the whole
> > into a common routine, say in src/common/guc_options.c or similar.
> > Perhaps just on HEAD and not back-branches as this is always annoying
> > for packagers on Windows using custom scripts. Per the lack of
> > complains only doing something on HEAD, with only a subset of the
> > parameters which make sense for CREATE FUNCTION is what makes the most
> > sense in my opinion.
> >

> Last patch is good enough solution, I tested it and it is working
>
> Little bit strange is support of GUC, that cannot be atteched to any fx.
> Probably only PGC_USERSET, maybe PGC_SUSET has sense there

That's true, but doesn't the additional rule make it more
bothersome to maintain the list?

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center