Re: Parallel bt build crashes when DSM_NONE

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pg(at)bowt(dot)ie
Subject: Re: Parallel bt build crashes when DSM_NONE
Date: 2018-02-14 01:38:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Mon, 12 Feb 2018 22:05:36 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in <20180212130536(dot)GA18625(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 05:06:35PM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> 4 regression tests fail when using dynamic_shared_memory_type=none:
> join, aggregates, select_parallel and write_parallel. test_shm_mq of
> course blows up. Could that justify getting rid of DSM_IMPL_NONE? As

A query runs into the fallback route in the case, which even
though the regtest doesn't care about. So it alone doesn't
justify that.

> far as I can see there is an alternative on Windows, and we fallback to
> sysv in the worst case. So I am wondering what's actually the use case
> for "none". And it is good to keep alternate outputs at a minimum,
> those tend to rot easily.

Agreed. As Tom mentioned, no bf animal haven't complained with
that since 9.4 and I belive they won't. initdb doesn't create a
database with DSM_IMPL_NONE. Although it can be manually
deactivated, the fact that we haven't have a complain about that
can justify to remove it to some extent. I'll post a patch that
eliminate DSM_IMPL_NONE after this. I'd like it to be shipped on
11.

> Except for those mind errands your patch looks good to me.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center