Re: autovacuum can't keep up, bloat just continues to rise

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Sokolov Yura <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum can't keep up, bloat just continues to rise
Date: 2017-07-20 13:28:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Sokolov Yura (y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru) wrote:
> I wrote two days ago about vacuum ring buffer:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/8737e9bddb82501da1134f021bf4929a%40postgrespro.ru
>
> Increasing Vacuum's ring buffer to size of Bulk Writer's one reduces
> autovacuum time in 3-10 times.
> (for both patched and unpatched version I used single non-default
> setting
> 'autovacuum_cost_delay=2ms').
>
> This is single line change, and it improves things a lot.

Right- when the database fits in the OS cache but not in shared_buffers.

I do agree that's a useful improvement to make based on your testing.

It's not clear off-hand how much that would improve this case, as
the database size appears to pretty quickly get beyond the OS memory
size (and only in the first test is the DB starting size less than
system memory to begin with).

Thanks!

Stephen