Re: snapbuild woes

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: snapbuild woes
Date: 2017-04-24 22:59:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2017-04-15 05:18:49 +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> Hi, here is updated patch (details inline).

I'm not yet all that happy, sorry:

Looking at 0001:
- GetOldestSafeDecodingTransactionId() only guarantees to return an xid
safe for decoding (note how procArray->replication_slot_catalog_xmin
is checked), not one for the initial snapshot - so afaics this whole
exercise doesn't guarantee much so far.
- A later commit introduces need_full_snapshot as a
CreateInitDecodingContext, but you don't use it, not here. That seems
wrong.
- I remain unhappy with the handling of the reset of effective_xmin in
FreeDecodingContext(). What if we ERROR/FATAL out before that happens?

What do you think about something like the attached? I've not yet
tested it any way except running the regression tests.

- Andres

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Preserve-required-catalog-tuples-while-computing-ini.patch text/x-patch 10.5 KB