Re: patch: function xmltable

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: function xmltable
Date: 2017-01-11 21:53:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> The more I look at this, the less I like using NameArgExpr for
> namespaces.  It looks all wrong to me, and it causes ugly code all over.
> Maybe I just need to look at it a bit longer.

I think it'd be cleaner to use ResTarget for the namespaces, like
xml_attribute_el does, and split the names from actual exprs in the same
way.  So things like ExecInitExpr become simpler because you just
recurse to initialize the list, without having to examine each element
individually.  tabexprInitialize can just do forboth().

The main reason I don't like abusing NamedArgExpr is that the whole
comment that explains it becomes a lie.