gen_random_uuid security not explicit in documentation

From: rightfold(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: gen_random_uuid security not explicit in documentation
Date: 2017-01-01 23:20:54
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/pgcrypto.html

Hello,

The C source code of gen_random_uuid reads:

/*
* Generate random bits. pg_backend_random() will do here, we don't
* promis UUIDs to be cryptographically random, when built with
* --disable-strong-random.
*/

However, the pgcrypto documentation does not mention
--disable-strong-random
at all. I think the documentation should mention under which conditions
the
function returns secure data.

Radek Slupik

P.S. there is also a typo in the C comment: "promis" should be "promise".