Re: increasing the default WAL segment size

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date: 2016-08-26 00:37:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael,

* Michael Paquier (michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:

> >> FWIW, +1
> >>
> >> We're already hurt by the small segments due to a similar phenomenon
> >> as the ssh case: TCP slow start. Designing the archive/recovery
> >> command to work around TCP slow start is quite complex, and bigger
> >> segments would just be a better thing.
> >>
> >> Not to mention that bigger segments compress better.
> >
> > This would be good time to rename pg_xlog and pg_clog directories too.
>
> That would be an excellent timing to do so. The first CF is close by,
> and such a change would be better at the beginning of the development
> cycle.

If we're going to be renaming things, we might wish to consider further
changes, such as putting everything that's temporary & not WAL-logged
into "pgsql_tmp" directories, so we don't need lists of "directories to
exclude" in things like the pg_basebackup-related code.

We should really have an independent thread about this though, as it's
not what Robert's asking about here.

Thanks!

Stephen