BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column

From: danielnewman(at)umich(dot)edu
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column
Date: 2016-06-23 16:25:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 14210
Logged by: Daniel Newman
Email address: danielnewman(at)umich(dot)edu
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.3
Operating system: OS X 10.11.5

I have a table with one column and a hash index:

Table "public.hash_issue_table"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------------+-------------------+-----------
hash_issue_column | character varying | not null
"hash_issue_index" hash (hash_issue_column)

When I run the query `select * from hash_issue_table where hash_issue_column
like '2184';` I get 701 results. When I run the query
When I run the query `select * from hash_issue_table where hash_issue_column
= '2184';`, I get 0 results. However, if I drop the hash index and rerun the
second query, I get the same results.

I have created a sql dump file containing the data needed to replicate the
issue, but it is too large to copy/paste here. Is there somewhere I can
upload or send that file?