Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, noah(at)leadboat(dot)com, amir(dot)rohan(at)zoho(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com
Subject: Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.
Date: 2016-03-01 08:13:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:43:14 -0300, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote in <20160226184314(dot)GA205945(at)alvherre(dot)pgsql>
> Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > So, I'd like to propose four (or five) changes to this harness.
> >
> >  - prove_check to remove all in tmp_check
> >
> >  - TestLib to preserve temporary directories/files if the current
> >    test fails.
> >
> >  - PostgresNode::get_new_node to create data directory with
> >    meaningful basenames.
> >
> >  - PostgresNode::psql to return a list of ($stdout, $stderr) if
> >    requested. (The previous behavior is not changed)
> >
> >  - (recovery/t/00x_* gives test number to node name)
> >
> > As a POC, the attached diff will appliy on the 0001 and (fixed)
> > 0003 patches.
> These changes all seem very reasonable to me.  I'm not so sure about the
> last one.  Perhaps the framework ought to generate an appropriate subdir
> name using the test file name plus the node name, so that instead of
> tmp_XXXX it becomes tmp_001_master_XXXX or something like that?  Having
> be a coding convention doesn't look real nice to me.

Thank you for mentioning this.

Sorry, the last one accidentally contained garbage code to
intentionally raise an error. The last one names the nodes as
such like '001_master_24f8'. Maybe prefixing "tmp_" would be

> I didn't try to apply your patch but I'm fairly certain it would
> conflict with what's here now; can you please rebase and resend?

This was a very small patch made on the old, uncommited
patches. I remade the patch and split it into two parts.

  Changes of and to add some
  features and change a behavior.

  This is rather a example usage of 0001- patch (except for
  stderr stuff). 00n_xxx test leaves temporary directories with
  the names of 00n_(master|standby)_XXXX on failure. If this is
  considered reasonable, I'll make same patches for the other
  /t/nnn_*.pl tests.

Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center