Re: brin index vacuum versus transaction snapshots

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: brin index vacuum versus transaction snapshots
Date: 2015-07-31 19:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think the real solution to this problem is to avoid use of
> GetTransactionSnapshot(), and instead use GetLatestSnapshot(). As far
> as I can see, that should completely close the hole. This requires
> patching IndexBuildHeapRangeScan() to allow for that.

Actually I think there's another problem: if a transaction starts and
inserts a tuple into the page range, then goes to sleep, and then
another session does the summarization of the page range, session 1 is
seen as "in progress" by session 2 (so the scan does not see the new
tuple), but the placeholder tuple was not modified either because it was
inserted later than the snapshot. So the update is lost.

I think the only way to close this hole is to have summarize_range()
sleep until all open snapshots are gone after inserting the placeholder
tuple and before acquiring the snapshot, similarly to how CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY does it.