Re: Default Roles

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default Roles
Date: 2015-05-13 12:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

* Heikki Linnakangas (hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi) wrote:
> On 05/13/2015 06:07 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >This does change the XLOG functions to require pg_monitor, as discussed
> >on the other thread where it was pointed out by Heikki that the XLOG
> >location information could be used to extract sensitive information
> >based on what happens during compression.
>
> That seems like an orthogonal issue, not something that should be
> bundled in this patch. IIRC we didn't reach a consensus on what to
> do about the compression-leaks-information issue. One idea was to
> make it configurable on a per-table basis, and if we do that,
> perhaps we don't need to restrict access to
> pg_current_xlog_location() and friends.

Updated patch attached which removes the changes to the XLOG location
functions and adds checks for AlterRole and RenameRole to prevent
altering or renaming the default roles. Also adds '\duS'/'\dgS'
support to psql, to show default roles only when asked.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
default_roles_v4.patch text/x-diff 35.1 KB