Re: pgbench -f and vacuum

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomáš Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench -f and vacuum
Date: 2015-05-12 17:16:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > * Robert Haas (robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> >> It's says:
> >>
> >> starting vacuum.... ERROR: blah
> >> ERROR: blah
> >> ERROR: blah
> >> done
> >>
> >> And then continues on. Sure, that's not the greatest error reporting
> >> output ever, but what do you expect from pgbench? I think it's clear
> >> enough what's going on there. The messages appear in quick
> >> succession, because it doesn't take very long to notice that the table
> >> isn't there, so it's not like you are sitting there going "wait,
> >> what?".
> >>
> >> If we're going to add something, I like your second suggestion
> >> "(ignoring this error and continuing anyway)" more than the first one.
> >> Putting "ignoring:" before the thing you plan to ignore will be
> >> confusing, I think.
> >
> > +1 to adding "(ignoring this error and continuing anyway)" and
> > committing this.
>
> You want to take care of that?

Done. Results looked good to me:

--> pgbench -f test.sql
starting vacuum...ERROR: relation "pgbench_branches" does not exist
(ignoring this error and continuing anyway)
ERROR: relation "pgbench_tellers" does not exist
(ignoring this error and continuing anyway)
ERROR: relation "pgbench_history" does not exist
(ignoring this error and continuing anyway)
end.
transaction type: Custom query
scaling factor: 1
query mode: simple