Re: inherit support for foreign tables

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Date: 2014-03-10 08:29:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello. As a minimal implementation, I made an attempt that emit
NOTICE message when alter table affects foreign tables. It looks
like following,

| =# alter table passwd add column added int, add column added2 int;
| NOTICE: This command affects foreign relation "cf1"
| NOTICE: This command affects foreign relation "cf1"
| ALTER TABLE
| =# select * from passwd;
| ERROR: missing data for column "added"
| CONTEXT: COPY cf1, line 1: "root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash"
| =#

This seems far better than silently performing the command,
except for the duplicated message:( New bitmap might required to
avoid the duplication..

I made the changes above and below as an attempt in the attached
patch foreign_inherit-v4.patch

> I think the problem is foreign childs in inheritance tables
> prevents all menber in the inheritance relation from using
> parameterized paths, correct?
> Hmm. I tried minimal implementation to do that. This omits cost
> recalculation but seems to work as expected. This seems enough if
> cost recalc is trivial here.

Any comments?

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
foreign_inherit-v4.patch text/x-patch 31.8 KB