Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown
Date: 2013-01-30 23:36:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-01-31 08:27:13 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > This isn't an area that admits of quick-fix solutions --- everything
> > we might do has disadvantages. Also, the lack of complaints to date
> > shows that the problem is not so large as to justify panic responses.
> > I'm not really inclined to mess around with a tradeoff that's been
> > working pretty well for a dozen years or more.
>
> What about adding a caution to the doc something like:
>
> "pg_ctl -m -i stop" may cause a PostgreSQL hang if native laguage support enabled.

That doesn't entirely solve the problem, see quote and reply in
6845(dot)1359561252(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us

I think adding errmsg_raw() or somesuch that doesn't allocate any memory
and only accepts constant strings could solve the problem more
completely, at the obvious price of not allowing translated strings
directly.
Those could be pretranslated during startup, but thats mighty ugly.

Greetings,

Andres Freund