Re: Detecting libpq connections improperly shared via fork()

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Detecting libpq connections improperly shared via fork()
Date: 2012-10-03 22:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:08:18 AM Daniel Farina wrote:
> It would be fantastic for libpq to somehow monitor use of a connection
> from multiple PIDs that share a parent and deliver an error indicating
> what is wrong. Unfortunately detecting that would require either a
> file or some kind of shared memory map, AFAIK, and I don't know how
> keen anyone is on accepting that patch. So, may I ask: how keen is
> anyone on accepting such a patch, and under what conditions of
> mechanism?
Hm. An easier version of this could just be storing the pid of the process
that did the PQconnectdb* in the PGconn struct. You can then check that
PGconn->pid == getpid() at relatively few places and error out on a mismatch.
That should be doable with only minor overhead.

I have seen such errors before...

Andres