Re: 8.2.23 packages?

From: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.23 packages?
Date: 2012-04-11 06:52:04
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Hmm. I had actually replied earlier, but I cannot find any traces of
this in my mail logs. Apparently mutt ate the mail while still putting
a copy in the local folder.

Re: To Stephen Frost 2012-04-09 <20120409150853(dot)GC3474(at)msgid(dot)df7cb(dot)de>
> Re: Stephen Frost 2012-04-05 <20120405030906(dot)GF1267(at)tamriel(dot)snowman(dot)net>
> > All,
> >
> > Any hope for getting 8.2.23 packages..?
>
> Re: Bernd Helmle 2012-04-05 <1F5F12B3C5E3B4394648F1EF(at)apophis(dot)local>
> > > If you wish, you could build some based on the old 8.2 branch:
> > >
> > > http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~pitti/postgresql/debian-8.2/changes
> >
> > <http://pgapt.debian.net/> comes to my mind, too. 8.2.22 is present for lenny
> > and squeeze. Maybe we can trigger Christoph to offer new builds, if he gets
> > time?
>
> I did some porting of Martin's 8.2 branch and the result of that is at
> http://pgapt.debian.net/pool/main/p/postgresql-8.2/ .
> I only need to find some time to update this to .23. I'll announce it
> here once that has happened.
>
> Christoph
> --
> cb(at)df7cb(dot)de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Re: Magnus Hagander 2012-04-10 <CABUevEy=RgLduGz6HKeq+FLvr_WjvmCUpmYfSkFOhbsAhRQV8g(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> > What *is* the actual state of this?
>
> There was previously a discussion about setting up an
> apt.postgresql.org(when we created this list as a first step) - has
> this been completely
> replaced by the effort to do pgapt.debian.net?

I am talking with the backports.debian.org people to see if that would
be a good place to put the whole project (or at least the part for
8.4/9.0/9.1). There's a wiki page about it:

http://wiki.debian.org/pkg-postgresql/BackportsIntegration

The "9.0" part is currently a problem, because there's only 8.4 and
9.1 left in testing/unstable.

backports.d.o would have the big advantage that there's buildds that
would pick up building packages. There is also some plan to implement
PPAs officially on ftp-master.debian.org, but that will take at least
months to get started.

That said, I have only limited spare time, and I'd definitely need.

> How many people can actually build/push packages there, and what's the
> update policy?

Currently only me, but so far no one else has asked for access. (I
didn't ask very hard, though.)

> I'd really like to get this information up on www.postgresql.org under
> downloads to make it easier for people who don't already know where to go,
> but it needs to be "stabilized" before we can do that. And we need to be
> able to specify some level of support commitments. (Which means it would be
> very useful if >1 person can actually do it).
>
> We really need something that works the same way the pg community yum
> repository does for RPMs (I don't care if it's under postgresql.org or
> debian.net as long as it *works* that way). I've already had several
> customers drop debian permanently due to the whole "9.0 will be removed
> from backports" issue, and I'd rather not have more of that happening :S
> Particularly since I know we have plenty of people in the pg/debian
> communities who know how to fix this problem...

Nod. (Currently in a meeting, hopefully a longer answer later.)

Christoph
--
cb(at)df7cb(dot)de | http://www.df7cb.de/