Re: Runtime SHAREDIR for testing CREATE EXTENSION

From: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runtime SHAREDIR for testing CREATE EXTENSION
Date: 2012-02-24 08:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Sandro Santilli 2012-02-22 <20120222101656(dot)GB6125(at)gnash>
> I'm not really looking for "inline extensions".
> I do want to install the extension objects somewhere, just NOT
> in the PostgreSQL builtin SHAREDIR but in an arbitrary staging
> directory to use for QA the extension before distribution.

We have the same problem with testing extensions at build-time in the
Debian packages. The server's SHAREDIR /usr/share/postgresql/... is
only writable by root, while the build is running as buildd user, so
there is no way to do "create extension whatimbuildingrightnow" to be
able to run regression tests, even if this is a cluster I have just
created with initdb.

Christoph
--
cb(at)df7cb(dot)de | http://www.df7cb.de/