Re: PostgreSQL - Debian - Processes: postgres: writer process, etc.

From: "Jean-Yves F(dot) Barbier" <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL - Debian - Processes: postgres: writer process, etc.
Date: 2012-01-30 10:54:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 02:24:08 -0800 (PST)
Windybell <lmhelp1(at)orange(dot)fr> wrote:

> I am running the Debian Lenny PostgreSQL package (v.8.4).
> When I issue the following command:

I guess the command is: ps axuf|grep postgres

> I am wondering what are these four last processes ("postgres: writer",
> "postgres: wal writer", "postgres: autovacuum launcher" and "postgres: stats
> collector")?

Because, as their name suggest it, they take care of Pg different
parts.

> Their PPID is 3069.

That can't be, each running software/process have a different PID.
This PID Nb is in the 2nd column.

> What is weird to me is the "COMMAND" column as far as these four processes
> are concerned.
> In the "COMMAND "column I would expect a real command, not a description.
> Can you explain?

If you use the command I wrote above, you'll see they all depend on
the main process launch by the script in /etc/init.d.

--
Eat shit -- billions of flies can't be wrong.