Re: How to add conversion between LATIN1 and WIN1251 ?

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, condor(at)stz-bg(dot)com
Subject: Re: How to add conversion between LATIN1 and WIN1251 ?
Date: 2011-11-25 22:42:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday, November 25, 2011 1:19:29 am Condor wrote:
> Hello,
> early postgresql versions (< 9.1) did not show this error message:
> FATAL conversion between LATIN1 and WIN1251 is not supported
> and connect to db. I access server over the network and every time when
> I try to login because I work on latin1 I should export
> LANG="ru_RU.CP1251"
> for example. With few terminals on few different databases that is
> pretty disgustingly.
> Any way how I can avoid it ?

Did the 9.1 database get created with a different character set then on previous
versions?

See here for automatic conversions:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/multibyte.html#AEN32070

Going back to 8.3 at least I do not see that it has changed.

Going to release notes:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/release-9-1.html

I see:
"
Have psql set the client encoding from the operating system locale by default
(Heikki Linnakangas)

This only happens if the PGCLIENTENCODING environment variable is not set.
"
This led me to:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/runtime-config-
client.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CLIENT-FORMAT
"
client_encoding (string)

Sets the client-side encoding (character set). The default is to use the
database encoding. The character sets supported by the PostgreSQL server are
described in Section 22.3.1.
"

--
Adrian Klaver