BUG #6171: Sockets Issue

From: "Robert Hopek" <rhopek(at)getnetworks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6171: Sockets Issue
Date: 2011-08-20 15:31:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6171
Logged by: Robert Hopek
Email address: rhopek(at)getnetworks(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.23
Operating system: CentOS/RHEL
Details:

Why do you have the configuration option to change the pgsql socket (which
we need to do for our jailed shell environment), but not have psql check the
postgresql.conf file for the enablement of that location change so that psql
would look there automatically? It seems very counter-productive. While
psql, as well as functions in languages like PHP (pg_connect) allow for an
override so that you could point it at the new location (when custom
coding), existing software, such as phpPgAdmin, are stuck only looking in
/tmp for it. We consider it a bug that the server supports a configuration
option the clients do not inherently support by checking the configuration
of the server.