BUG #6134: pg_restore failed with "corrupt tar header"

From: "Gene Lum" <gene(dot)lum(at)rsa(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6134: pg_restore failed with "corrupt tar header"
Date: 2011-07-29 15:44:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6134
Logged by: Gene Lum
Email address: gene(dot)lum(at)rsa(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0
Operating system: Windows 7 (32-bit)
Details:

I tried to import an output tar file from pg_dump (same version) using
pg_restore. I can import using the command line without problem. I can also
execute the command through a Java process by specifying the filename
without problem.

However, if I execute the command through a Java process and pipe in the
file contents to the stdin of the process, the command failed with this
error:

Error: pg_restore: [tar archiver] corrupt tar header found in PGDMP
(expected 364, computed 19903) file position 256

I used the same method on Unix without problem. This only happened on
Windows.