Re: Welcome!

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Welcome!
Date: 2011-06-16 16:49:39
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Re: Dimitri Fontaine 2011-06-13 <m2ips9y03s(dot)fsf(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
> After having been talking about it for so long, a debian maintainer
> *team* around PostgreSQL related efforts is forming. <applause> :)

*clapclap*!

> Here's what I have in mind, and have been talking to some of you
> individually:
>
> - PostgreSQL packaging for debian
>
> My understanding is that Martin would appreciate some help there,
> mainly in order for the team to still be responsive to releases when
> that conflicts with his own personal schedule. Which is hard to
> achieve with a team of one.

I would like to help here, especially with the postgresql-common
infrastructure.

> - same, for all supported major versions
>
> It would also be good to maintain packaging for all supported major
> versions of PostgreSQL. The technical details are already there, of
> course, so it's about servicing our users in a way that debian is
> unable to (because of stable policies about reaching EOL).

I've started playing around with this, but so far haven't got much
farer than downloading postgresql-*.*.dsc.

http://www.df7cb.de/projects/postgresql-apt/
http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/mole/packagelists/.dump/packagelists-postgresql_apt-sid_pgapt-source

Ideally, we would have every version built for every Debian/Ubuntu
release, except probably for the versions officially shipped. (We
would probably pull the packages over for these.)

Hopefully I got the version matrix on
http://wiki.debian.org/pkg-postgresql
right.

> - extension packaging for same set of versions
>
> Most extensions are source-compatible with several major versions, if
> not all of them, but currently debian only offers packaging for one
> target version at a time. There's now postgresql-server-dev-all with
> the pg_buildext script to help solve that (thanks to VPATH build).
>
> The goal here would be to get all compatible extensions to use this
> mechanism and easily build postgresql-X.Y-ext packages with X.Y in
> the list 8.3, 8.4, 9.0 and 9.1, currently.

The packages I've been working on recently all support 8.4 and 9.0.
pg_buildext works pretty well :) (ok, I did patch it a bit and need to
push the changes back, see #1)

> Christoph is also playing with the idea of implementing a tool based
> on the PGXN client, dh-make-pgsql-extension or something, that would
> offer the same service as dh-make-perl for CPAN.

dh-make-perl works pretty out of the box for perl packages, we should
try this too :)

> - http://apt.postgresql.org/
>
> As debian policy is not compatible with distributing all those things
> from the two previous points, another goal is to host binary packages
> for debian GNU/Linux for i386 and amd64 on the PostgreSQL
> infrastructure. Maybe we could add some more archs here, or support
> for debian/kFreeBSD, but that is not the immediate goal.

The repository mentioned above would eventually move there.

> Let's rock debian and PostgreSQL worlds together even more :)

We haven't mentioned the IRC channel yet, /join #postgresql-apt on
freenode.

Christoph
--
cb(at)df7cb(dot)de | http://www.df7cb.de/