BYTEA or LO?

From: "Jean-Yves F(dot) Barbier" <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BYTEA or LO?
Date: 2011-05-31 17:09:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi list,

I need to read/write pictures to my DB and I wonder which column type
would be the best? (and DON'T feed the troll: I won't put them onto the FS),
client will be written in Python.

I formerly tested BYTEA (7.dontremember) and found that I needed to transcode
my pictures into Base64 format to be able to do so (long and add 33% to the
size); this is what I'd like to avoid.

Pictures will be written (rare), read (often) and deleted (rare), but
may be, one day, this program could have a web interface.

So what would be the best to my needs?

JY
--
You can build a throne out of bayonets, but you can't sit on it for very long.
-- Boris Yeltsin