Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Cc: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, "Nasby, Jim" <JNasby(at)enovafinancial(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes?
Date: 2011-05-13 03:52:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

bruce wrote:
> I am sure I could collect the information. The big question for me is
> whether we _want_ such information in the release notes. The release
> notes, for me, is for people to read about the release changes, and give
> a small amount of credit to the author, and indicate who is mostly
> responsible for the features, in case it has problems.
>
> I think adding sponsors to the release notes is going to make the
> release notes look like a billboard, and I am not in favor of this.
>
> Obviously we don't even care to update the web site about sponsorships,
> so why put in everyone's face in the release notes when we don't even do
> the minimal of updating our own web site with this information.
>
> I agree press releases are the natural place for this and I support more
> activity in that area.

Let me add that I often mention the company sponsoring a features when I
do a press interview or talk about a feature at a conference, if I know
who the sponsor is. It would be good to at least have a wiki page where
we could list the sponsors so people who publicize features would know.

I know I mentioned NEC as the sponsor of our SE-Linux integration during
my InformationWeek interview with Josh Berkus. The article mentions
KaiGai Kohei, but not NEC:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/development/database/229402894?pgno=2

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com