Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?
Date: 2011-03-31 16:07:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 31.03.2011 17:55, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I will work on code to allow autovacuum_max_workers to be set to zero in
> > HEAD and 9.0, and have pg_upgrade us that.
>
> We've intentionally not allowed the user to disable anti-wraparound
> autovacuum before. Do we really want to allow it now for the sake of
> pg_upgrade?

Not sure.

> > I think the maintenance
> > overhead of an invisible variable is too much.
>
> A simple GUC or command-line switch isn't much code.

Well, is this going to show in SHOW ALL or pg_settings? Do we have the
ability to easily disable display of this?

> Is the problem just that the clog files get removed too early, or is
> there something else? If it's just the clog files, we could simply copy
> them (again) after updating datfrozenxids.

The problem is that pg_upgrade through pg_dumpall is setting
pg_database/pg_class frozen xid values and I can't have autovacuum
modifying the system while this is happening.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com