Re: How to do minor upgrades? 9.0.0 --> 9.0.1 (or .2)

From: Robert Bernier <robert(at)pg-live(dot)info>
To: seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Basil Bourque <basil(dot)list(at)me(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How to do minor upgrades? 9.0.0 --> 9.0.1 (or .2)
Date: 2010-10-24 05:24:42
Lists: seapug

> Can I install 9.0.1 over 9.0.0? If so, do I need to shutdown the Postgres
> server? If so, how do I do that? (The background daemons are auto-launched
> when I boot my Mac)

Yes, since you're doing a database on a personal machine. Normally, I shut
down the cluster before replacing the binaries. I'm not certain if a Mac
distro wouldn't do the same thing.

As long as you're replacing 9.0.x then you're okay. It's upgrading 9.x.x that
needs the data transferred from the old data cluster to the new one.

> But I am wondering how you do this in the real world with production
> servers.

install the next version of the binary in a separate path from the old binary
and then simply shut down the server and restart using the new binaries.

Robert Bernier