Re: create tablespace fails silently, or succeeds improperly

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create tablespace fails silently, or succeeds improperly
Date: 2010-10-18 18:26:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> writes:
> > as seen below create tablespace does not throw an error or appear to
> > do anything other than register the tablespace.
>
> I suspect this behavior is partially intentional, because tablespace
> creation now involves an extra level of subdirectory. However, it's
> not clear to me why CREATE TABLESPACE is still changing the permissions
> on the parent directory. Bruce, exactly what is the rationale here?

Well, the symbolic link from data/pg_tblspc points to the top directory,
not to the catalog-version-named subdirectory. This was done for
several reasons, particularly so the directory pointed to by the symlink
would be exactly the same as that specified by CREATE TABLESPACE, for
code clarity.

Tom, is there a particular permission change you were wondering about?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com