Re: Write-able CTEs, Update-able views, Hierarchical data, and optimistic locking

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Write-able CTEs, Update-able views, Hierarchical data, and optimistic locking
Date: 2010-05-30 01:57:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 09:38:30PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 01:29:50PM -0700, Richard Broersma wrote:
> > > This might be a premature question considering write-able CTEs
> > > are not in core, but...
> > >
> > > I wondering if write-able CTE's will be the silver bullet that
> > > will make rule based update-able views based multiple vertically
> > > partitioned table robust. By robust, I mean to elimination the
> > > update anomalies that can occur from the view point client side
> > > optimistic locking where the virtual row appears to be
> > > inconsistently updated.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand. When the concurrency issues in
> > writeable CTEs get fixed, they could become a mechanism for doing
> > what you describe, but I suspect there would be significant work
> > involved in harnessing them to that task.
> >
> > They'll be pretty nice even without the automated view stuff,
> > though :)
>
> If the user wants to submit it, fine, but neither Tom nor I are
> excited about it.

Could you clarify what you mean by, "it" in the sentence above? At
the developer meeting, we put "Writeable CTEs" as one of the
achievable 9.1 targets, and Tom encouraged me to see that the patch
gets fixed up and resubmitted for the first reviewfest, i.e. the
middle of next month.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!