Re: Shutdown fails with both 'fast' and 'immediate'

From: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: David Schnur <dnschnur(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shutdown fails with both 'fast' and 'immediate'
Date: 2010-05-12 14:45:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:22:14AM -0400, David Schnur wrote:
> I develop an app that uses a back-end Postgres database, currently 8.3.9.
> The database is started when the app starts up, and stopped when it shuts
> down. Shutdown uses pg_ctl with -m fast, and waits two minutes for the
> process to complete. If it doesn't, it tries -m immediate, and waits two
> more minutes before logging an error and giving up.
>
> One user, on OSX 10.5.8, has a script that stops the app each morning, to
> upgrade to the newest build. In his case, both the fast and immediate
> shutdowns time out, and Postgres continues running for at least 2-4 hours.
> At that point he brings up the terminal to kill all the back-ends manually,
> so we haven't seen it finish shutting down on its own yet. It is in fact
> shutting down, because all queries fail with the 'database system is
> shutting down' error.
>
> The query running during this time is a DELETE that runs as part of the
> application's daily maintenance. The size of the DELETE varies, and in his
> case happened to be unusually large one day, which is apparently what
> triggered the problem. Since the DELETE never gets a chance to finish, the
> problem recurs every morning.
>
> I'll obviously need to deal with that query, but I'm concerned that Postgres
> is unable to interrupt it. Why might this be happening? Thanks,
>
> David

In many cases, I/O requests are not interruptable until they complete
and DELETE causes a lot of I/O. Check to see if the processes are in
device-wait, D in top or ps. The solution is to fix the DELETE processing.
One option would be to batch it in smaller numbers of rows which should
allow the quit to squeeze in between one of the batches.

Cheers,
Ken