Re: [GENERAL] trouble with to_char('L')

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] trouble with to_char('L')
Date: 2010-04-19 01:59:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> But I'm unsure how that would work. We're talking about the output of
> localeconv(), right? I don't see a version of localeconv() that does
> wide chars anywhere. (You can't just set LC_CTYPE and use the regular
> function - Windows has a separate set of functions for dealing with
> UTF16).

Yeah, msvcrt doesn't have wlocaleconv :-( . Since localeconv() returns
characters in the encoding specified in LC_TYPE, we need to hande the
issue with codes something like:

1. setlocale(LC_CTYPE, lc_monetary)
2. setlocale(LC_MONETARY, lc_monetary)
3. lc = localeconv()
4. pg_do_encoding_conversion(lc->xxx,
FROM pg_get_encoding_from_locale(lc_monetary),
TO GetDatabaseEncoding())
5. Revert LC_CTYPE and LC_MONETARY.

Another idea is to use GetLocaleInfoW() [1], that is win32 native locale
functions, instead of the libc one. It returns locale characters in wide
chars, so we can safely convert them as UTF16->UTF8->db. But it requires
an additional branch in our locale codes only for Windows.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318101

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki