Re: confusing archive_command example

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: confusing archive_command example
Date: 2010-03-31 23:39:21
Lists: pgsql-docs

Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> Hi,
> On the page:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL
>
> an example archive_command of:
> archive_command = 'cp -i %p /mnt/server/archivedir/%f </dev/null'
>
> is given. Then, a few lines later, an example archive command of:
> archive_command = 'test ! -f .../%f && cp %p .../%f'
>
> is given. I think this second command would be more clear if it used
> "/mnt/server/archivedir/" instead of "...", to tie in with the
> previous archive_command. It took me a minute to figure out that the
> three dots were supposed to be an ellipsis instead of a typo for the
> parent directory "..".

I agree our use of cp -i </dev/null is a little too fancy not to be
explained in the docs, so I have done so with the attached, applied
patch.

As far as "...", those are used to show only the important changes in
the string, which I think is the right approach, but I did change the
line so the dots are not right up against slashes:

archive_command = 'test ! -f ... %f &amp;&amp; cp %p ... %f'

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 1.6 KB