Re: Reposnse from backend when wrong user/database request send

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reposnse from backend when wrong user/database request send
Date: 2010-03-12 23:39:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>
> > I now understand that those behavior could be changed randomly release
> > to relase in unpredictable way.
>
> I think the protocol specification is pretty explicit that you shouldn't
> be relying on specific sequences of events where it's not logically
> necessary that things happen in a particular order. It's always been
> possible for a connection to be rejected before any 'R' is sent; we've
> only made a minor change in the set of error cases for which that's
> true.

No. I would say CVS HEAD's behavior that it returns 'E' first is ok if
it is given wrong database.

Problem is in 8.4 or before and HEAD returns Authentication ok
('R'+0x8+0x0) then 'E' if wrong user is given. How come backend says
"Great! authentication ok" then "Sorry your database is wrong so
authentican failed". FYI 8.4 or before always returns Authentication
ok then 'E' if user and/or database is wrong.

Maybe we should change "AuthenticationOK" to "AuthenticationMaybeOK"?:-)
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan