|From:||Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>|
|To:||Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>|
|Cc:||Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>|
|Subject:||Re: [PATCH] Provide rowcount for utility SELECTs|
|Views:||Raw Message | Whole Thread | Download mbox | Resend email|
Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> >>> Ah, I didn't even see that that section needed to be updated. Good
> >>> catch. I'd suggest the following wording:
> >>> For a <command>SELECT</command> or <command>CREATE TABLE AS</command>
> >>> command, the tag is SELECT rows... [and the rest as you have it]
> >>> We should probably also retitle that section from "Retrieving Result
> >>> Information for Other Commands" to "Retrieving Other Result
> >>> Information" and adjust the text of the opening sentence similarly.
> >>> Also I think you need to update the docs for PQcmdtuples to mention
> >>> that it not works for SELECT and CTAS.
> >> Ok, I will update libpq.sgml where this section resides.
> >> What's a CTA, btw? Do you mean CTE, a.k.a. "Common Table Expression"?
> > Sorry, CTAS = CREATE TABLE AS SELECT.
> Okay, new patch is attached. Please read the docs changes, and comment.
I have reviewed this patch and made some adjustments, attached. The
major change is that our return of "0 0" in certain cases must remain,
though I have improved the C comment explaining it with a separate CVS
* If a command completion tag was supplied, use it. Otherwise use the
* portal's commandTag as the default completion tag.
* Exception: Clients expect INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE tags to have
* counts, so fake them with zeros. This can happen with DO INSTEAD
* rules if there is no replacement query of the same type as the
* original. We print "0 0" here because technically there is no
* query of the matching tag type, and printing a non-zero count for
* a different query type seems wrong, e.g. an INSERT that does
* an UPDATE instead should not print "0 1" if one row
* was updated. See QueryRewrite(), step 3, for details.
I have removed the part of the patch that chagned "0 0"; it seems to
run fine without it. The rest of my adjustments were minor.
One major part of the patch seems to be the collection of the
PORTAL_ONE_SELECT switch label into the label below it, which is a nice
+ If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +
|Next Message||Robert Haas||2010-02-14 03:26:55||Re: knngist patch support|
|Previous Message||Robert Haas||2010-02-14 02:36:19||Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove old-style VACUUM FULL (which was known for a little while|