Re: Some questions on the backup window

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some questions on the backup window
Date: 2009-12-10 15:34:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le mercredi 9 décembre 2009 à 14:29:02, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > Just before going back to work (OK, I'm already late), I have some
> > questions regarding the patch I'm currently working on.
> >
> > I'm working on the backup window. It's already resizable, but components
> > on the first tab do not resize accordingly. Moreover, there are plenty
> > more options on this window than what the UI shows.
>
> Cool.
>
> > I already changed the UI so that the resize works. I added two new
> > options (encoding and compress ratio). All of this is available here:
> > http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=users/gleu/pgadmin.git;a=shortlog;h=re
> >fs/heads/pgdump. There are five more options interesting to add. But
> > that's too much for one tab only. I'm thinking about adding a new tab.
> > I'll split the checkboxes in two different tabs. Any objections on this?
>
> Nope.

I did it yesterday. See the screenshot attached.

> You might also want to think about how we could re-design the
> oft-complained about buttons for go/close that change meaning when the
> backup completes successfully.

Great idead, just added to my TODO list.

> > I would also like to add the capacity to choose the objects you want to
> > save. I mean, right now, a user can save a whole database, a whole schema
> > or one table. But the same user cannot save two tables on the same file
> > with pgAdmin's UI. So, I intend to add another new tab, which will show
> > all objects available in the selected object (all schemas and tables if
> > he selected a database, all tables if he selected a schema, nothing if he
> > selected a table). H'll be able to select each object he want with
> > checkboxes. Any opinions on this? or maybe better ideas, because I'm not
> > really fond of mine.
>
> It sounds similar to what we have in the grant wizard. For
> consistency, I'd say both lists should look the same, but feel free to
> find a nicer presentation for both dialogues if you like (not sure I
> can think of one).

I can't use the list from the grant wizard. It seems I will need to create a
new component to get a treeview with checkbox. And it won't be easy.

> > Last question. Some command line options depend on the version of
> > pg_dump. I can say that the backup UI will launch the pg_dump we give
> > with the installer, but we know that some users replace their copy of
> > pg_dump so that they can dump and restore with older PostgreSQL release.
> > I see two possible solutions. First one is to launch "pg_dump -V" to know
> > the release of pg_dump. I find it a bit awkward but it'll certainly work.
>
> That's really the only way.

OK.

> > Second one is to provide a UI to
> > handle different versions of pg_dump. Way better, but way more work. And
> > AFAIR, it was already rejected. Before trying to find how to do solution
> > 2 in a good way, do you have any opinions on which solution is best?
>
> It was rejected by me mainly because there was no nice way of handling
> it that I could picture - potentially there are nearly 15 different
> versions of apps to deal with (8.0 - 8.4 of PG, EDB and GP). In
> reality it's a little lower, but still... If you can come up with a
> solution, I'd be happy to see it.

I forgot that we had to deal with EDB and GP ones. So this is not reasonable,
to say the least.

> We'd need to have a way for us to ship one version, which might be
> chosen as the default and used if the user chooses the version
> override warning. We'd then need to provide a way for the user to
> specify paths for other versions versions/servers that will be used
> when they match the server.

Yeah, that's another (long term) TODO.

I think I'll send my current patch to have at least this, and keep the other
ideas on my list. Not sure right now but I'm tending this way.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size