Some questions on the backup window

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Some questions on the backup window
Date: 2009-12-09 13:19:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

hi,

Just before going back to work (OK, I'm already late), I have some questions
regarding the patch I'm currently working on.

I'm working on the backup window. It's already resizable, but components on
the first tab do not resize accordingly. Moreover, there are plenty more
options on this window than what the UI shows.

I already changed the UI so that the resize works. I added two new options
(encoding and compress ratio). All of this is available here:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=users/gleu/pgadmin.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pgdump.
There are five more options interesting to add. But that's too much for one
tab only. I'm thinking about adding a new tab. I'll split the checkboxes in
two different tabs. Any objections on this?

I would also like to add the capacity to choose the objects you want to save.
I mean, right now, a user can save a whole database, a whole schema or one
table. But the same user cannot save two tables on the same file with
pgAdmin's UI. So, I intend to add another new tab, which will show all objects
available in the selected object (all schemas and tables if he selected a
database, all tables if he selected a schema, nothing if he selected a table).
H'll be able to select each object he want with checkboxes. Any opinions on
this? or maybe better ideas, because I'm not really fond of mine.

Last question. Some command line options depend on the version of pg_dump. I
can say that the backup UI will launch the pg_dump we give with the installer,
but we know that some users replace their copy of pg_dump so that they can
dump and restore with older PostgreSQL release. I see two possible solutions.
First one is to launch "pg_dump -V" to know the release of pg_dump. I find it
a bit awkward but it'll certainly work. Second one is to provide a UI to
handle different versions of pg_dump. Way better, but way more work. And
AFAIR, it was already rejected. Before trying to find how to do solution 2 in
a good way, do you have any opinions on which solution is best?

Thanks.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org